Social Media Optimization (SMO) has become an integral part of modern-day digital marketing strategy. Remember the power of word-of-mouth advertising back in the days of traditional marketing? In the same way, Social Media Optimization is considered the digital version of word-of-mouth advertising. It is an undeniable fact that social media is everywhere, and it is unavoidable! Moreover, regardless of its size, every business needs to embrace SMO to prove its existence in the digital landscape.
With almost half of the world’s current population using social media platforms to gather information, making a solid presence on social media is now necessary to survive in the era of digitalization. This article will understand what SMO is and why it is extremely important for any business to enhance its social media plan and stay ahead in the digital space.
What is Social Media Optimization?
Well, social media optimization is way more than creating profiles and posting content regularly. It refers to using various social media networks to build a brand’s online presence and optimize a website/blog to make it visible for social media searches. It helps the businesses to get discovered by the right audience who can add value. Hence “Social Media Optimization” is also referred to as “Search Marketing Optimization.”
Social Media Optimization bridges the gap between the website and social media presence to offer the audience numerous ways to connect and interact with the brand. It also helps the brands make their message consistent across various networks, driving website traffic from social media channels and improving audience engagement.
Why is Social Media Optimization important?
We all know how Social Media is powerful! Furthermore, if any business wants to reap the benefits of Social Media Marketing, then Social Media Optimization is essential. Though it is pretty challenging to build a brand’s visibility on social media, it is worth it. Here are a few ways which describe how Social Media Optimization can help businesses to grow:
● Builds a strong online presence and helps the business to gain trust by taking the brand’s message consistently into the target audience
● Expands the customer outreach and helps to connect with the niche audience, which is crucial for any business. It also helps to build relationships with the potential audience, which helps grow the business.
● SMO generates relevant traffic to the website and increases organic traffic through various social media platforms worldwide. It helps even small businesses to gain a customer base on a global level without huge investments.
● Generating quality leads is crucial for any business. With the right SMO plan, apart from establishing a strong online presence, businesses can drive better quality leads from potential customers, scaling up the revenue.
● SMO also helps businesses with better Online Reputation Management (ORM) by offering the possibility to interact/ to provide information with its existing customers or potential audience. Thus it helps to enhance customer loyalty and gains audience trust.
How are Social Media Optimization & Social Media Marketing different?
Though both Social Media Optimization and Social Media Marketing work hand-in-hand in establishing a
brand’s online presence, there are specific differences between them. To make it simple for better understanding, SMO is optimizing the website, making it easy to share the website/blog content on social media. In contrast, SMM involves activities outside the website which solely concentrate on improving engagement on social media platforms.
Proven Tactics for Successful Social Media optimization:
Social Media Optimization is a never-ending process. One must keep on working with the trends and adopt new tactics to win the extra mile in the world of competitors. Here are a few Social Media Optimization tips, which help businesses to build an effective social media strategy:
● Not all social media platforms are for every business. So, choose the right social media platform according to the business objective.
● Update all the required information, as the profile serves as the face of a brand, which helps build trust amongst the audience.
● Identify the target audience and plan the strategy accordingly. The more exciting content the brand creates, the more audience base it will achieve
● Find the potential keywords such as long-tail keywords, sale/service-oriented keywords and include them in the profile descriptions. It maximizes brand exposure on social media and increases visibility for social media searches.
● Grab user’s attention by creating the most compelling and original content with visually appealing designs to earn new followers
● Identify when the target audience will be active on various social media platforms and schedule the post accordingly. It increases the post reach and will have a significant impact on the performance of social media campaigns.
● Incorporate the social media information on the website and website information in the social media profile descriptions. This way, social media, and the website can be linked, which encourages the visitors to connect with the brand on various platforms according to their convenience.
● Track, analyze the performance of social media campaigns, and implement the modifications required to improvise the strategy.